A look at the headlines right now:
- At least 247 killed in central Italy earthquake: The quake measuring 6.2 on the Richter scale reportedly reduced several towns to rubble.
- Documents on Scorpene submarines do not compromisesecurity, says Indian Navy: Within a day of the investigation ordered by Defence Minister Manohar Parikar, it was found that the data was not leaked from India.
- Government will soon find an alternative to pellet guns in Kashmir, says Rajnath Singh: During joint news conference with Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti, the home minister said the future of India depends on that of the Valley.
- Twelve dead after terrorists attack American University in Kabul: Police had cordoned off the institute soon after the gunfire began and killed the attackers in clearing operations that lasted for hours.
- December 2012 Delhi gangrape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide inside Tihar jail: He was admitted to Deen Dayal Upadhyay hospital after he allegedly took pills and tried to hang himself.
- Odisha man walks 10 km with wife’s body after district hospital allegedly refused help: The BJD had launched the Mahaparayana scheme in February under which government hospitals are supposed to transport bodies to their homes free of cost.
- MNS leader Raj Thackeray’s Janmashtami celebrations floutSupreme Court orders: State party Shiv Sena had also said the government should have come out with an Ordinance to reverse the order on the Dahi Handi festival.
- Earth-like planet found around 4 light-years away from solar system: Scientists say the planet, Proxima b, possibly has liquid water on its surface.
- Centre, Monsanto dispute escalates as latter pulls new GM cotton seeds to protest technology sharing: The biotech company and the government are also at odds over how much the former can charge for its genetically modified seeds.
- Government may soon allow calls and Wi-Fi facilities in Indian airspace, says aviation secretary: Earlier, security agencies did not have technology to monitor data transmission over Indian airspace, which the Centre is now hoping to resolve.
We welcome your comments at [email protected]