I made this avocado-tomato and cheese grilled sandwich for a potluck Iftar party last weekend. Usually the Iftar spread is heavy towards kebabs and deep fried snacks so I thought an avocado tomato and cheese sandwich will add something light and healthy to the mix.
Add a lettuce leaf to the sandwich and the avocado-lettuce-tomato (ALT) sandwich will be a great vegetarian alternative to the famous BLT (Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato) sandwich.
Avocado Tomato Cheese Grilled Sandwich
Preparation Time: 10 mins| cooking time: 10 mins| serves 4
8 slices of whole-wheat brown bread
1 just ripe avocado
4 cheese slices (I used cheddar slices)
1 tbsp butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
* Cut the avocado and tomatoes into slices.
Note – The avocado for the sandwich should be just ripe. It should not be very soft to press, like a day before you would cut it to make guacamole.
* To cut the avocado into slices, cut open into half, remove the stone and then cut slices of each half with the skin on. Now for each slice remove the skin, like you would for a musk melon.
* Sprinkle both tomato and avocado slices with salt and pepper.
* Take one slice of bread, put a layer of cheese, followed by a layer of avocado slices and then the tomato slices. Top with another slice of bread. You can have it as is a cold sandwich.
* If you want to grill, which I always do because I like the cheese to be slightly melted and glueing the whole sandwich together. Spread a little butter on the outside side of the bread and toast in a sandwich maker for about 4-5 minutes.
Cut into half and enjoy!