We gave eggplant the night off and topped mushrooms with melty cheese in these hearty vegetarian subs.
- Preheat the broiler. Line the baking sheet with the nonstick foil.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup panko with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano. Set aside.
- Place 4 large portobello mushroom caps on the prepared baking sheet and brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with kosher salt and pepper. Place in the oven and broil until mushrooms are just tender and beginning to release juices, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a cutting board and slice 1/2- inch thick. Discard foil.
- While the mushrooms are broiling, split and toast 4 hero rolls, slice 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, and grate 1/4 cup Parmesan. Divide the cooked mushrooms among the bottom halves of the toasted rolls, then top each with 2 tablespoons jarred marinara sauce, 1/4 of the sliced fresh mozzarella and 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan.
- Broil until the cheese melts, 1 to 2 minutes. Top with the panko mixture, and broil until golden brown, 30 seconds. Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving, if desired.
Nutritional information (per serving): About 400 calories, 18.5 g fat (6 g saturated), 17 g protein, 890 mg sodium, 45 g carb, 7 g fiber.